- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight brining
- Effort: easy
For the vegetables
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 300 g red peppers
- 200 g yellow peppers
- 200 g cucumber, peeled
- 200 g button onions, or pickling onions
- 200 g courgettes
- 200 g fennel
- 200 g celery
- 2 litres water
- 50 g salt
For the pickling vinegar
- 600 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp red chillies, diced
- 250 g caster sugar
- 50 g freshly grated horseradish, or horseradish sauce
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 40 g cornflour
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 75 g Dijon mustard
Tips and Suggestions
A great accompaniment to Galton's Morston smoked kipper pate
1. For the vegetables: trim and dice all the vegetables into small cubes (the onions can either be left whole or cut into halves or quartered).
2. Pour the water into a large bowl and stir in the salt. Put all the vegetables into the salted water and leave to soak overnight.
3. The next morning wash the vegetables in plenty of cold running water, drain well and then place into a large bowl.
4. For the pickling vinegar: put all the ingredients into a saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves then bring to the boil and simmer gently for a few minutes. Set aside to cool and then strain.
5. To finish: put the chilli, cornflour, tumeric and Dijon mustard into a bowl and mix to a runny paste with about 150ml of the pickling vinegar.
6. Bring the remainder of the pickling vinegar back to the boil in a clean saucepan over a moderate heat and then stir in the paste mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously until it thickens.
7. Pour the hot mixture over the vegetables and mix thoroughly. Leave to cool completely, then store in sterilised jam jars.
Rate This Recipe