- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 750 ml red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- zest of 1/2 lemons
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tbsp Cointreau
- 8 small, firm pears, peeled leaving stalks
- 300 g sugar
1. Place the red wine in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Add the cinnamon sticks, lemon zest, ground cloves and Cointreau and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add the pears and sugar.
4. Partly cover and simmer over a very low heat for 1 hour until the pears are tender.
5. Carefully remove the pears with a slotted spoon and place in a heatproof serving dish.
6. Strain the remaining red wine mixture and return to the saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook briskly until it reduces and thickens into a syrup.
7. Pour the red wine syrup over the pears. Serve warm or cold.
Rate This Recipe