- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr setting time
- Effort: easy
- 200 g quick-cook polenta
- black pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 6 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 large field mushrooms, sliced
- 225 g wild mushrooms
- 2 sprig thyme, finely chopped
- 75 ml dry white wine
- 350 ml double cream
- 175 g gorgonzola cheese, cubed
- 100 g parmesan, freshly grated
- juice of 1/2 lemons
- 4 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Pour 1 litre of cold water into a large saucepan. Season well with salt. Bring to the boil. Add the polenta. Cook, stirring continuously, until the polenta has absorbed all the water and is coming away from the sides of the pan. Transfer the polenta to a greased, shallow dish, patting it flat. Leave for 1 hour to set, then cut into slices. Brush the slices with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large wide saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook gently over a very low heat until softened. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
3. Add the thyme to the mushrooms. Pour in the wine and cook over medium heat until reduced by two-thirds. Once reduced stir in the cream.
4. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring constantly until the sauce has reduced by a third. Lower the heat so the mixture is simmering very gently, add the Gorgonzola, Parmesan, lemon juice and parsley. Cook, stirring constantly, until all the cheeses have melted.
5. While the mushroom sauce is cooking preheat the grill. Grill the polenta slices until golden-brown.
6. Transfer the grilled polenta to a warm serving dish. Pour over the mushroom sauce and serve.
Rate This Recipe