- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus overnight chilling time
- Effort: easy
For the ponzu sauce
- 550 ml vinegar ponzu sauce
- handfuls bonito flakes
- ¼ ruby grapefruit, segmented
- 10 cm square dried kombu, (kelp)
For the fish
- 240 ml lime juice
- 2 fillets red snapper
- 240 ml coconut milk
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, sliced thinly
- ½ cucumber, sliced thinly
- crusty bread, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Ponzu vinegar is flavoured with Japanese citrus fruits. Ponzu vinegar, bonito flakes (dried shavings of smoked fish) and kombu kelp (a type of Japanese seaweed) are available from specialist Japanese stores and online.
1. For the ponzu sauce: combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and leave covered in the fridge overnight. This mixture will last up to a month in the fridge, and will become more intense with time.
2. For the fish: combine the lime juice and 120ml of the ponzu sauce in a shallow dish.
3. Slice the red snapper thinly across the fillet and add it to the lime juice and ponzu mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Add the coconut milk, red chilli and cucumber.
5. Serve chilled with crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe