- Serves: 6 jars
- Cook Time: 45 minutes - 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.8 kg rhubarb, chopped
- 450 g seedless raisins
- 850 ml white malt vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 900 g sugar
- 5cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 oranges, finely chopped zest only
- juice of 2 oranges
- good pinch of ground mace
1. Put the rhubarb and raisins in a preserving pan. Add 600ml of the vinegar. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until soft and thoroughly cooked.
2. Put the sugar in a non-reactive saucepan and pour over the remaining vinegar. Place over gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
3. When the fruits are cooked, add the sugar, ginger, vinegar solution, chopped orange rind, orange juice and mace. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-50 minutes, until thickened to the desired consistency.
4. Spoon into clean warm jars.
Rate This Recipe