- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus marnating time
- Effort: easy
For the beef
- 1.8kg lean topside or beef sirloin
- 4 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 300 ml sweet cider
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 whole fennel, quartered
- 2 large red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- thyme leaves, to garnish
For the relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium cooked fresh beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 sharp green apples, e.g Granny Smith, cored and grated
- 200 g brown sugar
- The finely grated zest of 1 large oranges
- 250 ml red wine vinegar
1. Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut any butchers string or meat bands. Season on both sides and push the thyme and rosemary into the slits.
2. Place the beef in a strong, large double-lined plastic freezer bag and add the cider and oil. Seal the bag, place on a large plate and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or if time allows, overnight, turning once.
3. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 4. Remove the beef from the marinade and transfer to a rack in a large non-stick roasting tin. Reserve the marinade. Pour over the marinade and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any rich meat juices. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
4. One hour before the end of the cooking time, remove the beef and rack from the tin and add the fennel and onions. Position the beef on top of the vegetables without the rack and return to the oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
5. For the relish: Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Cook the onions, spices and salt for 4-5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the beetroot, apple, sugar, orange zest and vinegar. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Wash a jam jar and lid in hot soapy water then rinse thoroughly. Then sterilise in an oven at 110C/90 fan/gas 2 for 20 minutes. Fill the jar with the relish while the jar is still hot.
8. Transfer the beef to a large warm plate, cover and leave to rest for 20 minutes. Slice the beef and serve with the pan juices, fennel, onions along with the beetroot and orange relish and a salad if you wish.
This recipe is from Simply Beef and Lamb
Rate This Recipe