- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the tomato salad:
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded for less heat, if preferred)
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the prawns:
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground white or black pepper
- 20 large raw prawns, peeled and deveined, tails intact if preferred
- 1 litres mild flavoured oil, such as sunflower, for deep-frying
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- lemon wedges, to serve
1. For the tomato salad: Put the tomatoes into a bowl and mash lightly with a fork to release the juices.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Toss to combine and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
3. For the prawns: Combine the cornflour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the prawns and toss to dust with the seasoned mixture. Shake off the excess and set aside on a tray. Dont leave them sitting for too long like this or they will get soggy and wont be as crunchy and delicious as they should be.
4. Heat the oil in a wok to 190C, or until a cube of bread dropped in browns in less than 1 minute.
5. Fry the prawns in batches, trying not to crowd the wok, for around 2 minutes until they are just opaque. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Once the prawns are all cooked, deep-fry the sliced chilli in the oil for 1-2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
8. Arrange the prawns on a warm serving platter, top with fried chilli and serve with the tomato salad and lemon wedges on the side.
Love cooking with prawns? Take a look at lots more of our favourite prawn recipes.
Rate This Recipe