- Serves: makes about 20 scones
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g strong bread flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 75 g caster sugar
- 85 g butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 230 ml milk
- 50 g sultanas, soaked in 50ml orange liqueur
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
For the blackcurrant jam
- 200 g blackcurrants
- 100 g caster sugar, or jam sugar
- 50 ml water
For the orange cream
- clotted cream, or Guernsey Cream,
- orange zest, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas 8.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Sift again to ensure the baking power is thoroughly mixed.
3. Gently rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Mix the sugar with the beaten eggs, then make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Bring the ingredients together with just enough milk to make a soft dough. Mix in the sultanas.
5. Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently, then roll out lightly to a thickness of about 2cm and cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter.
6. Place the rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush the tops with beaten egg, making sure the egg wash doesn't spill over the edges.
7. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until brown and well-risen. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. To make the blackcurrant jam, bring the fruit, sugar and water to the boil in a saucepan, simmer for 20 minutes, then transfer to a clean jar and cover with greaseproof paper. Leave to cool.
9. Combine the cream with the orange zest and serve the scones topped with orange cream and blackcurrant jam.
Rate This Recipe