- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes plus 12 hours for the confit lemons
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the confit lemons:
- 2 organic lemons, cut into 8 slices
- 100 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 star anise
- 1 clove garlic
For the sea trout and samphire:
- olive oil
- 1 fillet wild sea trout, pin-boned
- ice cold water
- 100 g rock samphire
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- jersey royal potatoes, or new potatoes cooked and buttered
1. For the confit lemons: put the sliced lemons in a small saucepan filled with about 150ml of cold salted water, bring to the boil, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain.
2. In another saucepan, bring 100ml water and the sugar to the boil, then add the vanilla pod, star anise and garlic clove. Put the cooled lemons into this stock syrup and cook for 12 hours over a very low heat.
3. For the trout and samphire: heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and cook the trout fillet for 8-10 minutes, turning half way through cooking time.
4. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, blanch the samphire in boiling salted water. Refresh in a bowl of ice cold water. Drain and fry with the sea trout for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the samphire to a bowl and mix in the confit lemons.
5. Put the samphire and confit lemons on a plate with the sea trout on top. Squeeze over lemon juice and serve with buttered new potatoes.
Rate This Recipe