- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 750 g finely minced lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp yellow split peas, (mattar dhal) or red lentils (masoor dhal)soaked
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 ml water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 small egg, beaten
- oil, for shallow frying
For the filling:
- 1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
To serve (optional):
- spicy mint chutney
- freshly-baked naan breads
1. Place the minced lamb, onion, split peas or lentils, ginger, garlic, salt and water into a heavy saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Cover and cook over a low heat until the meat, lentils and onions are soft. This should take about 45 minutes.
3. Remove the lid and cook, stirring now and then, until all the liquid has been absorbed. Leave to cool.
4. Place the cooled lamb mixture in a food processor with the garam masala, yogurt and egg. Process until well-mixed.
5. Meanwhile mix the green chilli, coriander, spring onion and ginger in a bowl.
6. Divide the lamb mixture into 8 portions and form each into a flat circle. Put a teaspoonful of filling in the middle. Close the meat mixture around it, pinching edges together. Flatten gently to form a small round patty.
7. Lightly grease a heavy griddle or frying pan with oil and heat through. Add the lamb patties and fry until browned on both sides and cooked through. Serve at once, ideally with spicy mint chutney and freshly baked naan bread.
Rate This Recipe