- Serves: makes 12
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sponge
- 120 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 145 g golden caster sugar
- 40 g butter, at room temperature
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 120 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
For the frosting
- 225 g butter
- 400 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 lemon, juice only
- few drops yellow food colouring
- 3 packets sherbet dip dab sweets, sherbet only
- Dip dab lollies, or coloured sherbet
Tips and Suggestions
Leftover frosting? Try sandwiching two digestive biscuits together with a dollop of frosting for a quick pudding.
Don't worry if your cupcake comes out of the oven looking a little flat - it's supposed to happen! A flat sponge is ideal when it comes to frosting the cupcake.
1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Tip the flour, sugar, butter and lemon zest into a food processor and blitz on a slow speed for one minute, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until just incorporated. Dont worry if it looks a little messy at this stage it will come together! In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk together with the egg. Pour into the batter and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl to catch any unmixed ingredients as you go.
3. Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases, filling each one up two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the golden sponge bounces back when prodded with a finger. Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
4. For the frosting: Tip the butter and icing sugar into a food processor and beat until well combined. Add the lemon juice, colouring and sherbet, and then beat again for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
5. When the sponges have cooled completely, carefully spoon a third of the frosting into a piping bag and use it to decorate the first four cupcakes. Repeat until you have finished them all. Alternatively, just use a palette knife to spread about 2 tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake.
6. Decorate with the dip dab lolly, or a sprinkling of colourful sherbet.
Rate This Recipe