- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling and overnight chilling
- Effort: medium
- 5 tbsp raspberry jam
- 225 g plain sponge cakes, sliced
- 150 ml sherry
- 200 g raspberries
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 400 ml double cream
- 25 g blanched flaked almonds, toasted
1. Spread the jam over the sponge cake slices. Place in the bottom of a large glass serving dish or divide evenly between six tall glasses.
2. Pour the sherry over the cake and sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
3. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth.
4. To make the custard, pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan. Add the split vanilla pod and bring to the boil.
5. Gradually stir the milk into the egg mixture, then pour back into the pan.
6. Set over medium-low heat and stir until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let the mixture boil or it will separate.
7. Pass through a sieve into a jug. Stir in the orange zest and allow to cool.
8. Pour over the sponge and raspberries.
9. Whip the double cream until thick. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe over the custard, or simply spread it with a palette knife and spike it with a fork. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
10. Sprinkle with the toasted flaked almonds just before serving.
Rate This Recipe