- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 125 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 (160C/gas 3 for fan-forced ovens). Grease a 1kg-capacity loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the bananas to this mixture.
5. Sift the dry ingredients together with a pinch of salt and then fold gently into the banana mixture. (It is important to fold the dry ingredients in gently until just incorporated, rather than simply stirring.)
6. Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer placed in the middle of the cake comes out clean and dry.
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. (Resist cutting it for 30 minutes or it might crumble.)
Rate This Recipe