- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 200 g Japanese sushi rice
- black pepper
- 50 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 50 g sugar
- 6 sheets nori seaweed
- 3-4 tsp wasabi
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchstick strips
- 75 g smoked tuna
- Japanese pickled ginger
- Japanese soy sauce
- sprigs of fresh coriander
1. Rinse the sushi rice thoroughly. Drain, place in a saucepan, add 300ml water, bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes until rice tender.
2. Transfer the rice to a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the rice wine vinegar and sugar and mix.
3. Spread wasabi paste to taste on the nori sheets.
4. Place one of the nori sheets on a sushi mat. Leaving a 25mm gap at the base, spread a line of rice about 30mm wide onto the nori sheet.
5. Press a line of cucumber and smoked tuna down the middle. Top with more rice and roll up tightly. Repeat the process until all the nori sheets have been filled.
6. Cover the sushi and chill for 30 minutes to set.
7. Slice the sushi rolls across. Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce, wasabi and fresh coriander.
Rate This Recipe