- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g plain flour
- 0.25 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp cream of tartar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 110 g butter
- 110 g lard
- 175 g currants, raisins or sultanas
- 1 dashes of milk, to mix
- 1 pieces lamb, or mutton fat for the griddle
Tips and Suggestions
If you are making them for a children's party or at Christmas, put coins that have been briefly boiled, then wrapped in greaseproof paper in the middle of some of them.
1. Sift together the flour, raising powders and salt.
2. Rub in the butter and lard, and then mix in the fruit.
3. Add enough milk to make a firm dough. Roll out, and then cut into rounds of about 6cm in diameter.
4. Spear the mutton fat on a fork and grease the heated griddle with it thoroughly. Put on the cakes and turn them when the underneath is a nice mottled brown. Keep the singin' hinnies warm in the oven until they are all cooked.
5. Cut in half and put a big knob of butter in the middle. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe