- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 175 g streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 900 g braising steak, cut in to 4cm cubes
- 12 small shallots
- 12 baby or chantenay carrots
- 1 tbsp flour
- 300 ml red wine
- 300 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, we recommend Kikkoman
- 100 g button mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried herbs de provence
- 4 tbsp parsley
Tips and Suggestions
Tuck a sheet of foil under the casserole lid to make a tight seal so none of the precious cooking juices can evaporate.
If your pot is big enough, add extra vegetables such as baby carrots, turnips and new potatoes about 1 hour before the end of cooking time for a one-pot meal.
1. Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas mark 3. Fry the bacon in a frying pan, remove and transfer to a large casserole. In the same pan, fry the steak briskly in batches, transferring to the casserole as it browns and adding oil if needed.
2. Lower the heat and fry the shallots until golden. Add the carrots, cook for 2 minutes, then transfer to the casserole. Stir the flour into a little of the wine then add to the pan with the remaining wine, stock and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
3. Add the mushrooms and herbs and pour mixture into the casserole. Cover tightly and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Recipe from Kikkoman.
Rate This Recipe