- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g lean boneless shin or chuck steaks, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 2 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 1 tsp light soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 g gnocchi
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. Place the beef in a large plastic food bag. Add the seasoning, cayenne and paprika; seal, shake well to coat the beef in the spices.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook the beef for 4-5 minutes in batches until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.7 litre heatproof casserole pot.
3. In the same frying pan, cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole pot. Add the tomatoes and stock, cinnamon, sugar and tomato purée. Bring this to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2-2½ hours.
4. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the gnocchi. Garnish with the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
This recipe is from Simply Beef and Lamb
Rate This Recipe