- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 700 g undyed smoked haddock fillets
- 150 ml fish stock
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 70 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 115 g lancashire cheese, grated
- black pepper
- 225 g spinach, cooked, drained and squeezed
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 55 g parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
1. Place the haddock fillet, fish stock, milk and cream in a deep frying pan. Gently bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8 minutes the haddock is cooked through. Using a slotted spoon transfer the haddock fillet to a dish and keep warm.
2. Melt 45g butter in a heavy based saucepan. Mix in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add the haddock poaching liquid, stirring constantly as you do so. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened. Add the Lancashire cheese and stir in until melted. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, bearing in mind the saltiness of the smoked haddock.
3. Melt the butter in a small frying pan. Add shallot and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened. Add diced tomato and fry for 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Heat through the cooked spinach in a saucepan. Transfer to a shallow, buttered ovenproof dish.
5. Preheat the grill. Top the spinach with the poached smoked haddock, then layer over the tomato mixture. Pour over the cheese sauce, sprinkle over the grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Grill until golden-brown. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe