- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 375 g dried pasta, such as conchiglie, fusilli or penne
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 450 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 g mature cheddar or gruyere, grated
- 200 g smoked ham, torn into shreds
- small bunch chives, finely chopped
- 500 g cooked beetroot, cut into 1cm cubes
Tips and Suggestions
For a less rich version, replace the double cream with extra milk.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/356F.
2. Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. Put the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat and sweat the onion for 10-15 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a minute before stirring through the flour.
4. Pour in milk and cream. Bring up to the boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
5. Turn off the heat, stir through half the cheese as well as ham and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Stir through the cooked pasta and beetroot and spoon into a baking dish. Scatter over the rest of the cheese and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately, accompanied by a green salad.
Recipe from Love Beetroot
Rate This Recipe