- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 20 mins to rest
- Effort: easy
- 250 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 35 g butter, softened
- 75 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
Tips and Suggestions
For a variation add 180g of cubed Wexford cheese and 80g of chopped onion to the dough at the mixing stage.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6, and line a baking tray with parchment.
2. Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and work in the butter. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well. Combine the mixture with your hands to make dough.
3. Flatten the dough out and cut a cross into the top, then place on the baking tray and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
4. Dust the dough lightly with flour and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Soda Bread Recipes
Rate This Recipe