- Serves: Makes 2 small jars
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g dark red plums, halved, stones removed, flesh roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 100-125 g muscovado sugar, (you may not need all of this, depending on how sweet the plums are)
1. Tip the chopped onion and olive oil into a heavy-based, non-reactive saucepan. Fry over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened and translucent but not browned.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir until the sugar is dissolved, then simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and slightly thickened.
3. Pour the hot chutney into sterilised jars and set aside to cool.
4. When cool, place a disc of waxed paper directly onto the chutney and seal with airtight lids or cellophane and elastic bands.
5. Keep in a cool, dark place until ready to use. Chill after opening and use within 1-2 months.
Rate This Recipe