- Serves: Makes 4 jars
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200 g onions, chopped
- 100 g raisins or sultanas
- 250 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 300 g sugar
- 225 ml vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves, (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
To sterilise the jars: wash thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinse and heat in a moderate oven for 5 minutes.
1. Place all the ingredients in a large stainless steel saucepan, season well and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
2. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer on a low heat, stirring regularly (to make sure the mixture does not burn on the bottom of the pan) for about 1 hour or until thick and pulpy.
3. Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover.
4. This is best left to mature for 1-2 weeks before eating if possible.
Rate This Recipe