- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 50 g butter
- 350 g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 140 g shredded suet
- 85 g caster sugar
- 115 g currants
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 75 ml milk
- 75 ml whipping cream
- custard or clotted cream, to serve
1. Soften half the butter and use to grease a 1.4 litre pudding basin.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, suet, sugar and currants in a large bowl, mixing well.
3. Melt the remaining butter and stir into the flour mixture.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and zest.
5. Combine the milk and cream in a small jug. Slowly stir enough into the mixture to bring it to a dropping consistency.
6. Pour the mixture into the pudding basin. Cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper (make a pleat in the middle to allow for expansion), tied in place with string.
7. Place the basin in a steamer basket set over boiling water. Cover and steam for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours until cooked. Check the water level now and again to make sure it doesn't burn dry.
8. Serve with custard or, if you're feeling wicked, a big dollop of clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe