- Serves: 1 x 20cm cake: cuts into 20-24 slices
- Cook Time: 35 minutes to 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g butter, plus more for greasing
- 200 g dark chocolate, drops, minimum 70% cocoa solids
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp strong black coffee, (made with good quality instant is fine)
- 150 g caster sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 5 eggs, separated
Tips and Suggestions
This cake looks fabulous simply dusted with a little sieved icing sugar, but, for special occasions, try topping it with some gold almond dragees, or even with a few flakes of real gold leaf and some cocoa powder. Serve it on its own or with fresh raspberries, accompanied by dollops of crème fraiche, whipped cream or mascarpone.
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin with butter and sprinkle lightly with flour or, preferably, use a non-stick liner.
3. Put the butter, chocolate drops, brandy, coffee, sugar and into a heatproof bowl and melt together, either in a microwave oven or in a bowl over a pan of hot (not boiling) water. Stir well until it becomes smooth. Allow to cool a little, then stir in the ground almonds.
4. Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture.
5. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then stir gently into the chocolate.
6. Turn the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes, depending on how squidgy you like it.
7. Let it cool a little, then remove from the tin and cool completely on a rack.
Rate This Recipe