- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 2 x 200 g baking potatoes
- 1 tsp strands saffron
For the shrimp sauce
- 200 g smoked shrimps, shells on
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 30 ml brandy
- 225 ml fish stock
- 112 ml double cream
For the fish
- 2 x 150 g turbot fillets
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 courgette
- 1 carrot
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut and shape the potatoes into medium-sized barrels. Bring a pan of water to a simmer, and add the saffron strands. Add the potatoes to the saffron water and cook until tender - this should take about 10-12 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, shell the smoked shrimps, discarding the dark vein that runs along their length. Leave them on one side, retaining the shells.
3. Put a deep-sided frying pan over a high heat, and add the olive oil. Fry the shallot, garlic and leeks for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
4. Add the tomato purée and the reserved shrimp shells and continue frying for a further 4 minutes. Still over a high heat, add the brandy, followed by the fish stock. Bring the liquid to the boil, before turning the heat down and simmering the sauce for 5 more minutes. Pour in the cream and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Transfer the sauce to a food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve and add the shelled shrimps. Keep warm until ready to serve.
6. Peel the carrot and courgette with a peeler and pare off long, thin strips, so you get a heap of vegetable ribbons. Blanch these strips in boiling water for 2 minutes, before draining and piling them into the centre of 2 warmed serving plates. Keep warm while you steam the fish.
7. Heat a steamer, filled with water, until it reaches boiling point. Season the fish fillets and steam for 5 minutes, until they're just firm to the touch. Squeeze a little lemon juice over each fillet.
8. Arrange the steamed fillets over the vegetable ribbons. Pour over the shrimp sauce and serve with the saffron potatoes.
Rate This Recipe