- Serves: Makes 16
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 500 g sticky rice, soaked in water overnight
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 200 g super fine caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large banana leaves, cut into 20cm x 30cm rectangles
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and cut in half lengthways, then crossways
Tips and Suggestions
Soften the banana leaves by quickly passing them over a gas fire, flash frying them in a hot pan or by steaming or microwaving them for a few minutes
1. Strain the rice and place it in a hot wok or saucepan. Stir in the coconut milk, half a teaspoon of sea salt and the sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 46 minutes, or until the coconut milk has been absorbed and the rice is thick and sticky. Stir in the oil, then transfer the mixture to a tray and cool for 510 minutes.
2. Lay a banana leaf on the bench. Place one heaped tablespoon of the cooled rice in the centre of the leaf. Add a single piece of banana, followed by a tablespoon of rice on top of the banana the banana should be sandwiched between the rice.
3. Fold the sides of the leaves over, as you would a parcel. Repeat with the remaining rice, banana and banana leaves. If the leaves are properly softened, you wont need to use anything extra to secure the parcels.
4. Half-fill a large steamer, wok or saucepan with water and bring to a rapid boil over high heat. Place the parcels in your steamer basket, seam side down, and set it over the pan of water. Steam for 30 minutes and then eat while hot.
Rate This Recipe