- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 1 small sponge cake
- 1 splashes strawberry liqueur
- 1 punnet English strawberries
- icing sugar, for dusting
- strawberry crisps, for decorating (optional, see cooks note)
For the jelly
- 150 g English strawberries, sliced
- 3 sheets leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 600 ml boiling water
For the custard
- 2 heaped tbsp custard powder
- 50 g caster sugar
- 600 ml hot milk
For the cream
- 400 ml Jersey double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- icing sugar, to taste
Tips and Suggestions
make strawberry crisps by drying out thin strawberry slices in a very low oven overnight.
1. For the jelly: combine the ingredients in a pan and simmer over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is a chunky pulp. Leave to cool but not set.
2. Break up the sponge into bits and put in the bottom of the serving glasses. Splash over with frais de bois or a good strawberry liqueur.
3. Pour over the jelly mixture and put in the fridge for 2 hours, or until set.
4. For the custard: make the custard following package directions. Leave to cool.
5. Add a few sliced strawberries to the glasses and spoon over the custard. Chill for another hour.
6. For the cream: mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk the cream until light and fluffy. Spoon onto the top of the glasses.
7. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with either more fresh strawberry pieces or some strawberry crisps.
Rate This Recipe