- Serves: Makes 9 large or 12 smaller bars
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g porridge oats, not jumbo oats
- 150 g light muscovado sugar
- 200 g butter, cut in pieces
- 85 g chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 225 g summer fruits, such as raspberries and blueberries
Tips and Suggestions
Use the smaller porridge oats rather than jumbo oats, as the the larger oats do not absorb so well so the mixture will not stick together.
These bars can be frozen for up to 1 month.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Lightly butter a rectangular 18x28x3cm baking tin and line the base with baking parchment. Tip the flour, oats and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Drop in the butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture starts to stick together. Stir in two thirds of the pecans. Mix the syrup and egg together, then pour into the bowl and stir to bind everything together. The mixture will be slightly moist.
2. Spoon three quarters of the mixture in the tin and pack down very lightly. Scatter the raspberries and blueberries over, then the rest of the crumble mix to more or less cover the fruit - there's no need to press the crumble topping down and don't worry if some of the fruit is peeping through slightly. Scatter over the rest of the pecans.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden on top. Remove and set aside to cool completely. Cut into 9 or 12 bars. Store in an airtight tin.
Rate This Recipe