- Serves: makes 2 x 260g jars
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
For the toffee sauce
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp double cream
For the apple jam
- 600 g Bramley apples, cored and peeled
- 100 ml water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 250 g white granulated cane sugar, flavoured with vanilla pods (or 1 fresh vanilla pod added to the apple sauce mixture at the beginning of the cook)
1. For the toffee sauce: melt the sugar, syrup and butter in a small pan and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes or so until thick. Stir in the cream and remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
2. For the jam: place the apples, water and lemon juice in a separate pan and cook down until soft and fluffy this will take about 15-20 minutes. Once the apples have become soft, add the sugar over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved, then crank up the heat and bring to a simmering boil for approximately 4-5 minutes. The apple jam should be lovely and thick.
3. Add a layer of toffee sauce to the bottom of the jar and then a layer of apple jam and continue layering until you reach the top of the jar.
Rate This Recipe