- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g demerara sugar
- 225 ml water
- 1 tsp malt vinegar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 50 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 12 Golden Delicious apples
- 12 wooden lolly sticks
- 12 squares cellophane paper, (optional)
- ribbon, (optional)
1. Combine the sugar and water in a pan and stir for 10 minutes over a moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Stir in the vinegar, syrup and butter, then bring to the boil. Let it bubble gently for 15-20 minutes until it resembles a treacly syrup - a good way to test this is to drop a little into a bowl of water; if it is ready, it will form a hard ball.
3. Push a lolly stick firmly into the base of each apple. Dip each one in turn into the hot toffee, turning to ensure it is evenly coated, then place top-side down onto a lightly greased tray to cool and set.
4. Once set - and if you are not eating them straightaway - you can wrap the toffee apples with brightly coloured cellophane and tie with ribbon.
Rate This Recipe