- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 6 glacé cherries
- 3 pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 g golden syrup
- 100 g black treacle
- 1 egg
- 150 ml lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 75 g light brown sugar
- whisky cream or crème fraîche, to serve
1. Line the base and side of a deep 20cm round cake tin with a non-stick baking parchment. Set the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Sprinkle the base of the tin with Demerara sugar.
3. Place a cherry in the cavity of each pear half where the core has been removed and place them cut side down, on the sugar, radiating from the centre of the tin.
4. Place the butter, syrup and treacle in a small saucepan over a low heat until the butter has melted, then set aside.
5. Mix together the egg, milk, and bicarbonate of soda.
6. Sift the flour, cinnamon and ginger into a mixing bowl and stir in the soft brown sugar.
7. Make a well in the centre and pour in the melted and the egg mixture. Beat thoroughly until well combined. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
9. Turn out the pudding onto a warm plate and peel away the baking parchment.
10. Serve hot with whisky cream or crème fraiche.
Rate This Recipe