- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 2 hrs soaking and cooling
- Effort: easy
- 225 g salt cod, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
- ½ red scotch bonnet peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small bunch of thyme, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 450 g tinned ackee, drained
- freshly ground black pepper
- johnny cakes, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Canned ackee are available from Caribbean food shops.
1. Drain the salted cod and place in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, simmer for 15-20 minutes and drain.
2. Pour cold water over the cod to cool it. Pick through the cod, discarding any skin and bones.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add in the spring onion, Scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, thyme and green pepper. Fry stirring until just softened.
4. Add in the salt cod and the tomatoes, mixing well.
5. Add in the ackee, season generously with freshly ground black pepper and cover the wok.
6. Turn down the heat and cook gently until the ackee has heated through.
7. Serve at once with Johnny Cakes.
Rate This Recipe