- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp white wine or cider vinegar
- 150 g ground almonds, lightly toasted
- 175 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 55 ml water
- 150 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp dark rum
- icing sugar and grated chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Prepare two 20cm sandwich tins by buttering and dusting them with flour. Line the bottoms with a disc of baking paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm and glossy and then gradually add the sugar. Continue whisking until the mixture is very stiff. Add the vanilla extract and vinegar. Gently fold in the nuts.
3. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins, smooth the top and bake for about 30 minutes until firm.
4. Carefully turn the meringues out and leave to cool.
5. Slowly melt the chocolate and water in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water.
6. Stir the whipped cream, icing sugar and rum together and then carefully fold into the melted chocolate mixture.
7. Place one of the meringue discs onto a serving plate and spread the cream evenly over. Top with the remaining meringue disc.
8. Dust with icing sugar, sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe