- Serves: makes 30 macaroons
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 85 g pineapple chunks, well drained
- 340 g unsweetened coconut flakes
- 225 g sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 55 g flour
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 30 almonds
- 55 g semisweet chocolate chips
Tips and Suggestions
The cookie dough can be made up to 2 weeks in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered, until forming the macaroons and baking.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Coat a baking tray with oil spray or line with a silicone baking sheet.
2. Put the pineapple, coconut, sugar, egg whites, flour and salt into a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 6 minutes, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is sticky. (Don't worry if the mixture browns along the bottom of the pan.) Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Scoop out tablespoon-size balls of the mixture, or pinch off pieces and roll into balls between your palms. Arrange the cookies on the baking sheet about 2.5cm apart - they will not spread. Press an almond into the top of each cookie. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown. Halfway through the baking time, rotate the pan from front to back. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack until they are completely cool, about 1 hour.
4. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan with boiling water or in a microwave until you can stir it smooth. Spoon the melted chocolate over the cookies in a zigzag pattern. Allow the chocolate to harden before storing the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Rate This Recipe