- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs rising
- Effort: medium
- 500 g plain flour
- 15 g salt
- 60 g sugar
- 80 g ground almonds
- 40 g butter
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 300 ml milk or water
- 120 g blanched flaked almonds
1. Mix the flour, salt, sugar, ground almonds, butter and yeast together in a large bowl.
2. Add in the water and mix together for 2 minutes, forming a sticky dough.
3. Tip the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Knead with your hands until the dough becomes soft and pliable, around 3-5 minutes.
4. Return the dough back in the bowl and leave to rise for 1 hour.
5. Bring the dough out and mix in half of the flaked almonds.
6. Flatten the dough down into an oval shape, then roll up into a sausage and cover the outside of the dough with the remaining flaked almonds.
7. Place the almond dough inside a large loaf tin and leave to rise for a further hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
9. Bake the almond bread for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Remove from the oven, cool on a wire rack and serve.
Rate This Recipe