- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: plus 1 /2 hour steeping time
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the almond cake
- 270 g whole almonds
- 320 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 270 g unsalted butter, melted
- 110 g plain flour, sieved
For the confectioner's custard (creme patissiere)
- 570 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 g caster sugar
- 30 g flour, sieved
- 30 g cornflour
- 570 ml double cream, whipped
For the apricots
- 6-8 apricots
- 50-75 g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ lemons, juice only
- lightly whipped double cream
- toasted flaked almonds
1. Preheat an oven to 180C/ gas mark 4.
2. For the almond cake: line a shallow 30 cm tart tin with baking parchment.
3. In a food processor, grind the almonds to a fine powder. Combine the almonds with the sugar, slowly add the butter, followed by the eggs, one at a time. Transfer to a bowl and lightly fold in the flour. Pour the mixture into the lined tart case and bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden and cooked through.
4. For the confectioner's custard: pour the milk into a medium saucepan. Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the seeds into the pan. Scald the milk, take off the heat and allow to steep for at least half an hour.
5. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until very pale. Mix in the flours. Stir in the milk and pour back into the pan.
6. Bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously and continue cooking until the mixture has thickened and the flour is fully cooked out. Pass through a sieve and leave to cool.
7. Once cooled, beat in the double cream until the custard is smooth and unctuous.
8. For the apricots: cut the fruit in half and remove the stones. Arrange on a roasting dish and dot with butter. Sprinkle with the sugar and lemon juice. Spoon over 3 tablespoons of water and place in the oven. Bake until fully softened and breaking down.
9. Put a slice of cake on a plate, heap with the apricots and a spoonful of cream. Toasted flaked almonds are a lovely addition.
Rate This Recipe