- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp, dissolved in 150ml warm water
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 300 g potatoes, peeled, boiled and cubes
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- rock salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp bombay mix, (one that includes almonds and cashew nuts)
For the jewelled raita:
- 150 ml yogurt, whisked
- 120g ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 120 g cucumber, peeled and diced
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of black peppercorns, crushed
1. To make the aloo chat, strain the tamarind water into a small pan. Add in the brown sugar and heat, stirring, until well-blended and slightly thick. Cool and reserve.
2. Place the cubed potatoes in a serving dish. Drizzle with the cooled tamarind syrup.
3. Sprinkle with the chilli powder, garlic powder, rock salt and ground cumin. Set aside.
4. To make the jewelled raita, mix together the yoghurt, tomato, cucumber, salt, sugar and crushed black pepper in a bowl.
5. Serve the aloo chat at room temperature (topping it with the Bombay mix just before serving) with the jewelled raita.
Rate This Recipe