- Serves: 6 as a starter or side dish
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 3 hrs to overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
For the skewers
- 1000 g large new potatoes, scrubbed
- ½ medium cauliflower
- 500 g paneer, ut into 2.5 cm dice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp toasted cumin seeds
- red chillies, deseeded and finely diced
- small bunch fresh coriander, hopped
- pickle tray to include mango chutney, cucumber Raita and assorted relishes
1. Toast the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds in a dry frying pan over a gentle heat until golden and aromatic. Grind in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Mix in a small bowl or cup with the remaining marinade ingredients.
2. Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water for 12-15 minutes, or until almost cooked through. Strain through a colander and return them to the pan. Leave under a running cold tap for 1 minute to arrest the cooking process. Drain again. Cut the potatoes into 3cm square-ish chunks.
3. Cut the cauliflower into florets a similar size to the potato chunks and blanch them in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into iced water to arrest the cooking process. Drain again.
4. Place the cooked potato chunks, cauliflower florets and paneer in a bowl and toss with the vegetable oil. Sprinkle over the marinade spice mix and toss, distributing the flavours evenly.
5. Thread the potatoes, cauliflower and paneer cheese, alternately, onto the skewers. Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours, overnight if possible.
6. Place the skewers on a hot grill or barbecue and cook for 3-4 minutes on each of the four sides, or until the vegetables and cheese are gently charred around the edges.
7. Sprinkle the skewers with toasted cumin seeds, chopped chilli and chopped fresh coriander and accompanied by a pickle tray.
Rate This Recipe