- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g unsmokedstreaky bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 50 ml red wine
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 175 g rigatoni or dried penne
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the bacon. Fry for about 5 minutes to allow the fat to run before adding the onions and chilli flakes. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring all the time to prevent anything catching, until the onion is softened and the bacon browned.
2. Add tinned tomatoes, wine and oregano and bring to the boil. Turn sauce down to a very gentle simmer.
3. Meanwhile, bring large pan of water to boil. While the sauce is simmering put the pasta in the boiling water. Cook until just tender, drain and return to the saucepan. Pour over the sauce and stir in the butter.
4. Serve the pasta with some freshly ground black pepper and the parmesan.
Rate This Recipe