- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 24 hrs draining and marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 peach, skinned and finely sliced
- 1 ripe apricot, skinned and finely sliced
- 1 sharon fruit, thinly sliced
- 10 kumquats, quartered, pips removed
- 50 g golden raisins
- 1 web of mace
- 1/2 vanilla pod, plus 4 pieces of vanilla pod for decoration
- 200 ml dry Oloroso sherry
- 20 golden raspberries
For the peppered fromage blanc:
- 400 g fromage frais
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- pinch of sea salt
- 100 ml double cream
Tips and Suggestions
A mace web is the natural mace covering found on a nutmeg. Mace is sold either in its web form or ground.
1. First make the peppered fromage blanc. Take a double layer of muslin and lay it inside a 1.2 litre pudding basin.
2. Pour the fromage frais into the muslin-lined bowl, gather the corners of the muslin around the fromage frais and tie together, using string.
3. Suspend the muslin-wrapped fromage frais in the refrigerator, with the basin below to catch any drips. Leave to drain in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
4. In a bowl, mix together the peach, apricot, Sharon fruit, kumquats, golden raisins and mace web.
5. Cut open the halved vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into the fruit mixture. Add the sugar and 100ml of the Oloroso sherry, mixing together well. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
6. Unwrap the drained fromage frais and mix in the black pepper, sea salt and cream, mixing well. Cover and chill.
7. Remove the mace web from the marinated fruits. Fold in the raspberries, reserving a few for decoration.
8. Spoon the fruit mixture into 4 serving dishes or glasses leaving around 2cm space at the top of each dish.
9. Heat the remaining Oloroso in a small saucepan and lace each glass with hot sherry, about 1 dessertspoon each.
10. Pipe or spoon the peppered fromage frais over the fruit. Smooth the surface of the fromage frais using a hot palette knife.
11. Decorate each serving with the reserved golden raspberries and a piece of vanilla pod. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe