- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 egg
- 125 ml milk
- 3 slices of white bread, crusts cut off
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For a sweet version:
- 3 tsp sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
For a savoury version:
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- ketchup, to serve
1. Beat the egg with the milk using a fork in a bowl until frothy. Add the sugar (for a sweet eggy bread) or the salt, garam masala and chilli (for a savoury version) and beat a little more.
2. Soak the bread in the mixture for a couple of seconds, turning over until each side is well coated.
3. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a wok to 170°C or until a drop of the egg mixture rises at once.
4. Using a fish slice, drop the egg-coated bread into the oil and deep-fry it until golden and crisp.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and serve at once with either a sprinkling of sugar for the sweet version or ketchup for the savoury.
Rate This Recipe