- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus 12-18 hrs drying
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g blackberries
- 500 g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 150 g honey
1. Switch the oven to 60C/gas ¼, or its lowest setting. Line two baking trays with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
2. Put the blackberries, apples and lemon juice in a non-reactive saucepan and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, or until the fruit has broken down.
3. Sieve the fruit mixture into a bowl, add the honey and stir well.
4. Divide the purée between the baking trays, spreading the mixture out with a palette knife to give a thin, even layer.
5. Place in the oven for 12-18 hours, or until the fruit purée is completely dry and peels easily from the parchment or silicone mat.
6. Cut into strips and store in an airtight jar if not eating immediately.
Cooks note: Fruit leather is essentially concentrated fruit, puréed, dried and rolled into sheets, giving it an intense flavour. Remember to add lemon juice if you are using fruits that are likely to discolour. Be careful not to overcook your leather, as it can become brittle and difficult to peel off the paper. The same applies if you add too much honey or sugar. The fruit leather will last for 4-5 months if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Rate This Recipe