- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 130 g caster sugar
- 40 ml water
- 800 g apples
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- low-fat crème fraîche, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Place the caster sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Cook until the syrup turns a deep caramel colour.
2. Carefully pour the hot syrup over the bottom of 4 heatproof ramekins, rolling the ramekins as you pour, so that it quickly coats the sides too.
3. Cook the apples in a medium-sized saucepan until soft, and set aside to cool.
4. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together until fluffy, and combine with the cooled apple mixture.
5. Fill the ramekins with the apple mixture and place in a deep roasting dish. Half-fill the roasting dish with hot water, cover with foil and cook for 30-40 minutes until the tourtes are firm to the touch. The water in the roasting tin hleps protect the custards from overcooking.
6. Cool the custards before turning out onto plates and serving with a dollop of low fat crème fraîche.
Rate This Recipe