- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 6 sheets filo pastry, thawed
- melted butter, plus a small knob
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 100 g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 120 g caster sugar
- seeds from 1 vanilla pods
- grated zest and juice of 1 oranges
- juice of 1 lemons
For the custard:
- 400 ml ready-made custard
- 1 star anise
- grated zest of 1 oranges
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Stack three sheets of filo pastry on top of each other. Repeat with the remaining three sheets Overlap the two piles to make a rectangle. Brush with the melted butter and set aside.
3. Put the diced apple in a saucepan with the cranberries and a knob of butter. Cook over gentle heat for a few minutes until the cranberries begin to break up.
4. Stir in the sugar, vanilla seeds, orange zest and juice, and lemon juice. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
5. Spoon the filing into the centre of the pastry and roll into a sausage shape. Place on a baking tray. Brush with more melted butter, and score the pastry here and there. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
6. Warm the custard in a saucepan with the star anise and orange zest. Serve with the strudel.
Rate This Recipe