- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 110 g golden raisins or sultanas
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150 ml olive oil
- 350 g plain flour
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest only
- 500 g cooking apples, peeled and diced, about 1.5 cm
- icing sugar, for dusting
- lightly whipped cream, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
If you have time, try soaking your raisins or sultanas in sweet tea instead of water for extra flavour.
1. Preheat the oven 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Place the raisins or sultanas in a bowl of hot water and allow to soak for 15 minutes, to plump up.
3. Whisk the sugar and eggs until doubled in volume and pale cream in colour. Warm the olive oil and slowly whisk into the eggs and sugar.
4. Sieve the flour, cinnamon, ginger, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt together. Then gradually fold into the oil and sugar mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Drain the raisins from the water and add to the mixture along with the lemon zest and diced apples. Mix thoroughly. The mixture should be stiff at this stage.
6. Butter and flour a 20cm spring form cake tin and spoon in the mixture.
7. Bake for at least 1 hour, until a skewer placed in the middle comes out dry.
8. Carefully remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
9. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of cream.
Rate This Recipe