- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hrs boiling plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- a few drops of almond essence
- pinch of salt
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 250 g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 can of condensed milk, boiled for 2 hours then cooled
- 4 crisp English apples
- a dash of Somerset brandy
- icing sugar
- clotted cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, almond essence and salt. Gradually beat in the beaten eggs, then fold in the flour and ground almonds.
3. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 22cm tart tin. Spread a thin layer of the condensed milk toffee over the pastry base.
4. Spread the almond mixture evenly over the toffee layer. Arrange the apple slices on top of the almond mixture, pressing them in slightly.
5. Bake the tart for 30-40 minutes until set and golden.
6. Remove the tart from the oven and, while it is still hot, pour over a dash of Somerset brandy and dust with icing sugar.
7. Serve warm with clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe