- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the crust
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 g butter
- 110 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 30 ml calvados
- 325 g plain flour
- 1 pinches salt
For the filling
- 6 Cox's apples
- 100 ml calvados
- 75 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 75 g butter
- 75 ml double cream
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
For the topping
- 100 g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 g full fat crème fraîche
- 4 pomegranates, seeds removed
1. To make the pastry, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Add the egg yolks and mix well.
3. Add the calvados and mix well.
4. Add the flour and salt and mix until a soft dough is formed. Wrap in cling film and chill for one hour before rolling.
5. Meanwhile, peel core, and slice the apples. Place them into a large saucepan with the calvados and cook until slightly softened. Transfer to a mixing bowl to cool.
6. In the same pan cook sugar and butter together for 4 minutes.
7. Add the cream, lemon juice and zest and simmer for 2 minutes.
8. Pour onto the apples and stir well. Leave until cold.
9. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Roll the pastry out to line a deep pie tin or spring form tin with a diameter of 23cm and chill for 15 minutes.
10. Bake the pastry case blind for 25 minutes; remove from the oven and spoon in the apple mixture.
11. For the topping, mix the sugar, egg yolk and crème fraîche together and pour onto the apple mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
12. Scatter the pomegranate seeds evenly over the top of the pie and serve in slices.
Rate This Recipe