- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the filling
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- 400 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 125 g pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 75 g blueberries
For the topping
- 150 g plain flour
- 75 g demerara sugar
- 75 g butter, softened, in pieces
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- icing sugar, to dust
- ice cream
1. Put the caster sugar and the vanilla pod into a large heavy-based saucepan with 125ml water. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Tip in the apples and pears and cook gently until they start to soften. Don't simmer for too long, as you want to make sure that some of the fruit still has a good bite to it. Stir in the blueberries then remove the vanilla pod. Transfer the filling to a ½ litre ovenproof dish then leave to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
3. For the crumble topping, rub all the ingredients together in a bowl with your fingers until they resemble breadcrumbs. Spoon the topping over the filling then bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until the crumble is pale golden.
4. Dust with icing sugar and serve hot or warm with scoops of ice cream.
Rate This Recipe