- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 45 g brown sugar
- 250 g apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 250 g pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 30 g golden sultanas
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 400 g shop-bought puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten to glaze
- mascarpone cheese or fromage frais, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Melt the butter and sugar in a frying pan. Add the apple, pear, lemon rind and lemon juice.
3. Cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apple and pear have broken down. Stir in the raspberries, sultanas and spices. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
4. Cut the puff pastry into 2 vertically. On a lightly floured surface roll one half to a 24 x 18cm rectangle. Spread the cool fruits mixture onto the pastry, leaving a 2.5cm gap on both sides. Brush both edges with the egg.
5. Roll the other half of the pastry to 25cm x 18cm. Using a sharp knife, cut slashes in the pastry across its width, leaving a 2cm border around the edge. The slashes should open slightly and resemble a Venetian blind ('jalousie' in French).
6. Top the fruit with the 'jalousie' lid and carefully press the edges down. Glaze with the beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve hot or cold with mascarpone cheese or fromage frais.
Rate This Recipe