- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 675 g cooking apples
- finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemons
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- lightly beaten eggs
- 25 g butter
- 675 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- flour, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Quarter, core and peel the apples, then slice them thickly into a bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and juice. and the cinnamon. Stir in the sugar and mix well.
3. Brush the rim of a deep pie dish with beaten egg. Tip the apple mixture into the dish and dot with the butter.
4. Roll out pastry on a floured board and place on top of apple mixture, trimming about 1cm beyond the edge of the pie dish.
5. Crimp the edges of the pastry with your finger and thumb, pressing on to edge of pie dish.
6. Cut three small holes in the top of the pastry to let out the steam.
7. Use the pastry trimmings to make decorations, such as leaves, sealing them in place with a little water.
8. Brush the pastry with egg wash, then dredge with caster sugar and then bake for 35-40 minutes until the fruit is tender and the top is golden brown. Serve with custard.
Rate This Recipe